20 Mar Zoning Code Rewrite Information
Hello East End Residents,
As many of you may have heard, the City of Boise is updating their Zoning Codes. If you would like to take the time to look through all or some of Zoning Code Rewrite draft click here. It is a long document, but there are some items that you may find concerning. The sections that the East End should pay close attention to is the R1-C, this is how most of the East End is Zoned.
If you are unfamiliar with Zoning Code Rewrite click here.
EENA’s Development Committee has identified the following as concerns for the East End:
- Lot Coverage limiting the size was removed from the Duplex, Triplex, and Fourplex allowing units over 4,000 sq ft.
- The height transition limiting the height of new structures next to single-story houses was removed from the Duplex, Triplex, and Fourplex allowing 3-stories and up to 40 foot tall structures next to a single-story home.
- The City is removing all neighborhood notification for all allowed uses with allowed form.
- Cafes and retail shops will be allowed in the R1-C Zones (R1-C is how most of the East End is zoned) on corner lots without a Conditional Use Permit allowing the uses without neighbor notification.
- We are not sure what will happen with the guidelines for the historic districts. There is no language in the draft that protects the historic districts at this time.
The deadline to submit comments to the City is March 22, 2023, by 5:00pm in order for your comments to be included in the Staff packet for Planning and Zoning. You may send your written comments here.
For the Planning and Zoning hearing dates, and how to watch the hearings click here.
Information on “How To Participate” for the Planning and Zoning hearings click here. This includes information on how to testify via Zoom and how to sign up for Zoom.
After the Planning and Zoning hearing there will be a hearing with City Council that you may also attend. We do not have the dates for the City Council hearing yet, but we will keep you updated.
Your EENA Board